Is your child turning 18? Consider suggesting that he or she execute a durable power of attorney and advance healthcare directives.

As your child prepares to begin college or enter the workforce, estate planning is likely the last thing on his or her mind—or yours.  However, there are numerous situations in which young adults can benefit from executing basic estate plan documents.  For example, should a child be in an accident and become disabled or incapacitated, even temporarily, his or her parents may not be able to act on the child’s behalf without court approval.  Alternatively, the child may be out of the country (or simply out of town) and require his or her parents to do something as simple as signing a lease or sending money to the child from his or her bank account.

A Durable Power of Attorney for financial matters, if activated, allows a parent or other individual designated by the child to act on the child’s behalf with respect to most financial and/or business matters.  Similarly, a Power of Attorney for Health Care authorizes the child’s agent to make medical decisions on his or her behalf, including decisions regarding medical consent and life support issues.  Further, a HIPAA Authorization provides the child’s parent or other designated individual access to the child’s healthcare and treatment information.

For these reasons, we strongly recommend that all adults, even those who have just turned 18, execute a Durable Power of Attorney, Power of Attorney for Health Care, and HIPAA Authorization for Release of Protected Health Information.

If you have any questions on this topic, please contact Attorney Emily E. Ames at or (920) 393-1190.

Posted in Estate Planning, General.